In this article we will discuss how to remove a felt-tip pen from clothes and whether this can be done at all.
Everyone who has children in the house knows that felt-tip pens like to be drawn anywhere, if only not on paper. And drawing pictures from felt-tip pens is not the easiest thing, especially if it also concerns the fabric. After all, a felt-tip pen needs not only to be removed, but also to preserve the appearance of the clothes. Therefore, we want to offer you some tips and small secrets that will help you cope with this task.
Does the felt-tip pen wash off clothes?
You can remove the felt-tip pen! But there are some pitfalls. I think every housewife knows that any spots should be combated immediately. Then the result will definitely be positive. The longer the spot is in contact with the tissue itself, the harder it is to remove it - this is a proven fact. But there is one more nuance - this is the fabric itself (we will consider below) and the basis on which the felt-tip pen is made.
What are the markers.
- Water based. - These are already felt by many felt-tip pens. By the way, they not only write well, brightly and for a long time, but also wash off much easier (in comparison with the others).
- Alcohol based. - Until now, many people use them, because they have a low price. Rinse off well too, the main thing is to know the right means. By the way, such a felt-tip pen always has a pungent smell.
- Oil based. They belong to the group of hard-to-remove markers. And the catch in this case lies in the fact that after dissolving the inscription of the felt-tip pen, you need to somehow remove the greasy stain.
- On a chalk basis. Probably the only type of felt-tip pens that outperforms water-based markers. They are very easily washed off (but more on that later) and can easily be wiped even from the glass (note if you want to make a New Year's picture on the window).
- On a paint and varnish basis. They rarely buy them for children, and removing the stain from such a marker will be most problematic.
IMPORTANT: Before starting to remove stains on things, check on a small and inconspicuous area. After all, each tissue can react in its own way to one or another component.
And now a few words about how to deal with each type of felt-tip pen separately.Felt-tip pen on clothes
Let's start with the most complex example. Let's change a little familiar scheme - from easy to complex way.
- Paint-based felt-tip pen using improvised means will not succeed.
- In this case, only special solvents should be used, for example, gasoline without impurities or nail polish remover.
- By the way, the last component can be, both with and without acetone. The main thing to remember is that for tissues (regardless of their color and quality), the liquid should be colorless.
- Also note that it is advisable to wear gloves on your hands (especially when working with gasoline).
- And use a cotton swab to facilitate the wiping process itself. As a small tip, pour the solvent onto the stain for several minutes, and then wipe it off.
- To withdraw water-based felt-tip pen, there are many means. Moreover, those that every housewife and in every house have.
- It’s easier to use gasoline (only purified) or oxygen bleach, or your favorite stain remover. It all depends on the type of fabric. But they have one principle - to apply, give time for contact and extend in the usual way.
- Of the improvised or, as they call it, folk remedies, ammonia and soda perfectly help. Yes, mix the ingredients in a 2: 1 ratio (to make a slurry) and also apply to the stain. After about five minutes, if necessary, rub with a toothbrush and send to the washing machine.
- Laundry soap has long been famous for its abilities. If we talk about the method, then it is banal simple - rub the stain with soap and let it lie down a little.
- Also, you can resort to the help of powder. You need to combine it, as in the case of soda, with ammonia. Apply to the drawing with a felt-tip pen and after 5-10 minutes send the machine to wash.
- As an option, an ordinary dishwashing detergent and hydrogen peroxide are also excellent (but do not forget that it has the ability to brighten).
- How to wipe alcohol-based felt-tip pen even a schoolboy knows.
- We recall even the elementary grades, the same alcohol or similar liquid (vodka, perfume or cologne) helps from the felt-tip pen.
- If the spot was not noticed immediately, and it had already managed to get into the fabric, then make a paste based on any of the above liquids and any crushed soap (you can even use laundry soap). In the same way, you need to apply it for about five minutes, and then just stretch it.
- Soda and laundry soap (the scheme is the same as above), as well as lemon juice or citric acid, have also proven themselves excellently. Lemon juice must be diluted in vodka (1: 1) or simply diluted with citric acid (1 tbsp. L), and then apply for a few minutes to create.
- Hairspray, as an option, can be used when removing stains from a felt-tip pen. You need to apply a little money, let it dry slightly and rub it with a brush if necessary.
- From oil marker also operates the method of "wedge by wedge."
- It is already becoming clear that we need fat or oil. Yes, even the one on which mom fries cutlets will do. Put on a stain and left for at least an hour, or even more. This is necessary so that the oil base dissolves and softens.
- Then, however, you need to use also any degreasing agent or you can apply a detergent for dishes. Laundry soap also does an excellent job of this task.
- Now let's talk about chalk-based markers.
- In principle, felt-tip pens on this basis are very easy to wash, so removing them is not difficult. For this purpose, ordinary detergent is often used.
- By the way, it can be replaced with powder or laundry soap again. There is no difficult or painstaking process, just rub the spot with a stain and stretch it in the usual way after a few minutes.
And now we will give some more recommendations:
- When removing stains from sweatshirts, t-shirts or any other thing, do not forget put several layers of napkins or a cloth. So that the coloring pigment is not imprinted on the other side. And just the working surface also does not need to be spoiled.
- Work needs to start from the edgesmoving towards the center. Then the spot will not spread over a large area.
- Not everyone has an extra piece of tissue or an inconspicuous place on which to experiment. On things like a T-shirt or dress, all the more so. Therefore, we suggest a little trick - use for these purposes internal seams.
- You need to remove the painting from the felt-tip pen only on the wrong side! In this case, the risk of spot formation on the front side is reduced.
- You need to check the result immediately after washing. After all, after drying, the spots tend to be absorbed. This means that withdrawing them will become problematic.
- And finally, start working first with gentle methods, and then proceed with more radical methods.
How and with what to remove the felt-tip pen from white clothes, dresses, t-shirts, shirts, bedding, sheets?
We have already made a reservation, which also affects the quality of the fabric itself. But now we want to touch on exactly the white things. Yes, they can be made of different materials. For cotton fabrics, the task is greatly simplified, since almost all products can be applied to them. But synthetics can be slightly moody.
- The most common "White" will help get rid of the drawing with a felt-tip pen on any basis. We started intentionally with this method. The fact is that in synthetic fabrics it can cause yellowness. Therefore, be sure to check in an inconspicuous area. For sheets, for example, there will be nothing to worry about. Just apply to the stain and leave for half an hour - an hour. If the picture is voluminous, then you can directly soak the thing in a basin with bleach.
- We have proposed the cheapest method, but you can experiment with other substances.
- And the most powerful bleach will be Domestos. By the way, you need to work with him carefully, you need to protect your hands with gloves. And it is advisable to work in a well-ventilated area.
- Regular peroxide will not be superfluous either. She is not so aggressive, therefore, requires a longer time. And yet, it will help to remove a new painting, which has already been on display for several days or weeks, will be very problematic to display. To remove the felt-tip pen, apply peroxide to the cotton pad and blot the stain until the fleece is clean.
- A more radical way would be a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and ammonia. It is bred in the same proportion. You need to moisten the stain for a few minutes. And then stretch in the usual way.
- If the spots are fresh and small, then try using the most common table vinegar. You need to work with it in the same way as with peroxide.
- And a little creative solution to the problem is toothpaste. Yes, the one with which we brush our teeth. It has the ability to remove stains remarkably (by the way, not only on things, but also on interior items). Plus, most (yes almost all) of them have a whitening effect. He just will not be redundant in this matter.
How and with what to remove the felt-tip pen from colored clothes, dresses, T-shirts, shirts, bedding, sheets?
Colored items (regardless of the type of fabric) require a bit of a gentle method. After all, we recall that the color of the product must be preserved. And some effective methods can lead to fading or even shedding of fabric. By the way, colored synthetic things are even more demanding in this matter. They can not only lose color (at the spot), but also completely deteriorate.
- Therefore, we use a mixture of glycerol and ethyl alcohol. As you know, alcohol dissolves the felt-tip pen (especially alcohol) well, and glycerin gives additional softening. By the way, some housewives use only glycerin for such purposes. And it gives good results if you tackle the spot right away.
- There are many more positive reviews about milk. Better yet, if you replace it with yogurt. It is applied to the stain, although the exposure time will take far from five minutes. And with intensive forms of drawing, it is sometimes worth resorting to a brush. If the volume of the picture is small, then a toothbrush will do just fine with this.
- If the toothpaste does not have a whitening effect, then it will help to save colored things.
- Laundry soap will also help. But he must not be left for long. Since prolonged contact of soap with cloth can cause discoloration.
IMPORTANT: Never use lemon juice or pure alcohol (it must be diluted with a softener). These components can eat out the color of things.
And I would also like to highlight tar soap. Yes, it can help to remove a stain from a felt-tip pen, but at the same time it will not affect the brightness and color of clothes.
How and with what to remove a felt-tip pen from jeans?
Denim is very popular in the modern world. It is insanely practical, comfortable and durable. Yes, and it looks very attractive. And this is not all the pluses of jeans. It is very resistant to various chemical and mechanical influences.
- Therefore, it is well tolerated by any solvent. The main thing is only to apply it for a short time, as color fading can occur.
- Acetone or pure alcohol will help to cope with the drawings of a felt-tip pen. It is enough just to moisten a cotton swab well with them and rub the stain well. But without fanaticism, acetone also tends to bleach tissue. Even a denim thing, especially with prolonged contact.
- Laundry soap can help in this situation, only you need to rub the stain and leave for another hour or two. Then, as usual, stretch at high temperature.
IMPORTANT: Do not try to use some kind of bleach, for example, "Domestos" or "White". Even denim can not resist them. Therefore, in the end, it turns out just a white color at the place of use.
- Alternatively, you can come up with an application at the spot. The result is an exclusive and unusual thing, and the place of the drawing will be hidden.
How and with what to remove the felt-tip pen with knitted knitted, woolen sweaters, sweaters?
The woolen thing is very delicate and demanding. She terribly tolerates any aggressive substances, and is very sensitive to mechanical stress. But in winter you can’t cope without sweaters, and knitwear fills more and more space in our closets.
- The most common and effective method is soda and lemon juice. Some resort to citric acid. The components are diluted to the density of sour cream and applied to the stain itself. Leave for a long time. Depending on the thickness of the layer, the stain may dry for more than an hour. After that, it is simply erased in the usual way.
- Another folk remedy is mustard. It has long been famous for its cleaning properties. It must be diluted with water to a thick cream and put on a stain from a felt-tip pen. Wait until completely dry and brush off the crust. Then you need to stretch the thing without fail.
- There is also a slightly peculiar mixture that helps in this matter - this is a composition of vinegar, borax, milk and lemon juice. All components must be mixed in the same proportion and applied to the stain for at least half an hour. Do not forget to lay a napkin under the picture, and at the end soak the mixture with cotton pads. Naturally, after the whole thing to stretch.
- And another folk remedy is turpentine. It must be heated and gently blot the stain. But do not rub, just blot the area with a felt-tip pen until it starts to lighten.
How and with what to remove the felt-tip pen from a jacket, down jacket?
In principle, it is difficult to remove stains from a jacket or a down jacket. And then there’s a trace from the felt-tip pen. It is necessary not only not to damage the upper fabric, but also leave the inner fluff (or synthetic winterizer) intact.
- Any aggressive means are prohibited. Even with white jackets, chlorine-containing substances cannot be used. The maximum that can be addressed is stain removers or laundry soap. They need, as in all previous options, just rub the stain and leave for half an hour.
- Try using milk as well. You need to moisten the cotton pad and blot the stain until the drawing comes off.
- Alcohol is also suitable for solving such a problem.
- And, of course, citric acid. Only you need to breed it to the state of gruel and leave for 5 minutes.
- Vinegar will help you. For jackets, you can use regular table (9%) vinegar in its pure form. Blot the stain until traces of a felt-tip pen begin to lighten.
- As a more aggressive option, this is still using soda in addition to the previous option. Soda was diluted with water (to the state of porridge), applied to the stain and a little dripped with vinegar. Wait until the reaction is over. Repeat if necessary.
How and how to remove a stain from a felt-tip pen from fabric of a sofa, upholstered furniture?
Sometimes children are so keen on drawing that sometimes they go beyond the scope of the album and begin to decorate furniture.In order not to faint right away, get some recommendations. The only thing I would like to add (or repeat) - do not immediately use aggressive and radical methods. After all, even light upholstery can get a little lighter spot.
- Everyone has baby wipes on hand. Yes, it is precisely those with whom we wipe the pens. They perfectly help in this matter. But this is also depending on the basis of the felt-tip pen.
- But alcohol wipes display almost any art. If they were not found at home, then use alcohol (this is even better). But do not rub too long and hard. Upholstery must be handled with care.
- And now we recall all the above folk remedies - this is vinegar, soda with lemon juice or mustard. We will not repeat the algorithm of action with each component separately, since we have already mentioned this several times.
- Do not forget about laundry soap (even in this matter it is relevant). As usual, grate and rinse well. Then get wet with dry wipes. If necessary, carry out the action several times.
- Also, nail polish remover (with acetone, the effect will be higher) and even aftershave lotion will also help. It is logical, because it is usually more often based on alcohol. But be sure to check first on the inner, inconspicuous area. And do not rub for too long so as not to damage and brighten the surface. And do not forget to rinse everything well with water at the end.
IMPORTANT: Do not let the components act for a long time! This can brighten upholstery. Better to carry out manipulations several times, but with a short period of time. And do not forget that all the ingredients must be washed thoroughly and thoroughly with water.
- Many housewives liked the melamine sponge. It does not contain chemicals, does not require any detergent and copes with stains remarkably. Here she just removes stains from felt-tip pens with a bang. It acts on them like an eraser for a simple pencil. Therefore, get such an assistant at home. She will clean the art of your child not only from the sofa, but also from other furniture and even some types of wallpaper.
How and how to remove a stain from a felt-tip pen from a carpet?
The carpet is probably your favorite easel after wallpaper. And here, too, the situation is complicated by the fact that the carpets can be of bright colors or even have a pattern that needs to be preserved. And if there is also a high pile, then your hands will drop. But you do not need to do this, you need to urgently save the situation.
- Take vinegar (the most common) 1 tbsp. l will be enough and as much detergent for dishes. And we dilute everything with cool water (2 tbsp). All of this needs to be stained. We’ll immediately warn you that you will need to do this several times with a break of 10-15 minutes.
- A slightly similar method using ammonia and again that detergent. The proportions are the same.
- Regular alcohol is also used in this area. But do not rub too hard. More precisely, you can’t rub the stain at all! You just need to wipe it with a swab dipped in a liquid. If contaminated, change. And be sure to walk at the end with clean water.
- Do not forget about the existence of glycerin. It must be mixed with soap, adding a little water. And pass in the same way with a cotton pad until the stain disappears. Pure glycerin can be used (or diluted with alcohol). The main thing is then to thoroughly wash a slightly greasy stain. And for this, laundry soap will help.
- By the way, we don’t forget about him either. Laundry soap you just need to rub the area and wait a bit. If necessary, you can rub it lightly with a brush. In the end, rinse well with water.
In general, as you can see, struggling with the traces of a felt-tip pen is difficult, but possible! If you were unable to remove the stain the first time, this means you need to repeat it again or try another method. And not always for a visible result requires a lot of costs, because you can even cope with improvised or inexpensive means. The main requirement is to start processing as soon as possible!