Diarrhea and diarrhea in a child is far from a harmless phenomenon. If urgent measures are not taken to eliminate frequent liquid bowel movements, the baby is at risk of dehydration.
Diarrhea in a child of any age is a serious reason to consult a pediatrician, because the causes of stool disorder can be very diverse. However, before you begin to sound the alarm, you need to make sure that the child is diarrhea, and not harmless loose stools.
Diarrhea in a child - an occasion to contact a pediatrician
IMPORTANT: Diarrhea or diarrhea in a child is called frequent bowel movements - from 5 times a day. In this case, feces are liquid or absent (if the cause of diarrhea is an infectious disease).
What to do if a child has diarrhea?
If a child begins diarrhea, and this becomes apparent, parents should act immediately. The tactics of waiting and hoping for "maybe carry" in this case are not appropriate.
IMPORTANT: Diarrhea is dangerous for the child's body, because during each act of defecation, the child loses a lot of fluid and salts, which can lead to dehydration. Therefore, measures must be taken to prevent this extreme state.
The actions of parents aimed at replenishing the spent fluid in the child’s body are as follows:
- the child must often be watered with saline: Regidron, Oralitol, Enterodesum. If vomiting interferes with consuming a large amount of fluid at a time, the child should be offered to drink in small portions, but more often
- give the child an absorbent drug (Smecta, Enterosgel), which will rid the intestines of accumulated toxins
- do not force the child to eat a large portion of food - this can trigger an attack of vomiting. It is better to offer the baby half of the usual portion, and while eating give ¼ Mezim-forte tablets
The child needs to drink a lot to prevent dehydration
IMPORTANT: Before examining a child with a doctor, no other measures are recommended to eliminate diarrhea.
Video: Food poisoning of a child - Emergency care of Dr. Komarovsky
Diarrhea in children under one year old, loose stools in infants
- It is possible to determine that the baby has diarrhea, according to the sharply increased number of bowel movements, the appearance of watery stools. Sometimes vomiting, fever, unhealthy general condition of the child are added to these symptoms
- All these signs indicate the development of a viral gastroenteritis in a child, requiring qualified medical treatment. A pediatrician, having examined the child and assessing his condition, will prescribe funds to replenish the supply of fluid and salts in the baby’s body that were lost during the illness
- A special diet is usually not required. For children who are exclusively breastfed, nothing will change in their diet. And for the "artificial" regular mixture is replaced by sour milk
Dehydration with diarrhea in infants can occur very quickly
IMPORTANT: A feature of diarrhea in infants is a high probability of rapid development of dehydration. If the eyes and fontanel are sunken, the skin has become dry, the number of urination has decreased, the child has become sleepy and lethargic, you need to urgently call an ambulance.
What to do if a child has diarrhea without fever, than to treat?
There may be several causes of diarrhea in a child that is not accompanied by an increase in temperature:
- excessive juice consumption on the eve
- food poisoning
- side effect of the drug taken
- stress, worries
- incomplete digestion of food
- nonspecific ulcerative colitis
Depending on what caused the diarrhea in the child, action must be taken to eliminate it.
If diarrhea was caused by food poisoning or excessive consumption of juices, a strict diet is recommended to the child until the condition normalizes. Consultation of a doctor in such cases cannot be neglected.Diarrhea without temperature can be a sign of food poisoning.
- With giardiasis, appropriate treatment is carried out, however, to establish an accurate diagnosis, you will need to pass tests
- If the child’s diarrhea is a side effect of taking the medicine, it is best to stop using this drug and replace it with another. However, you need to do this after consulting a pediatrician
- When childhood fears and worries become the cause of diarrhea, parents should try to help the child out of an unpleasant situation and provide support
- A serious danger to the health of the child is incomplete digestion and ulcerative colitis. As a rule, feces in these cases are accompanied by a pungent odor and impurities of blood
- The child complains of fatigue, refuses to eat, and does not gain weight well. All this is an occasion for an urgent visit to the pediatrician. The doctor will prescribe tests and conduct treatment
Depending on the situation, the child can be given one of the remedies for diarrhea:
- Touring - will have an astringent effect, make up for the lack of salts in the body
- Polyphepan - removes from the intestines the causative agents of diarrhea
- Smecta - restore the gastrointestinal mucosa
- Enterosgel - removes toxins, allergens, bacteria from the body
- Probiotics (Lactobacterin, Bificol, Bifidobacterin, Acipol, Linex, Acylact, Hilak Forte, Normobact) - balance intestinal microflora
What if the child has diarrhea and fever?
The cause of fever in children with diarrhea may be:
- viral gastroenteritis
- bacterial intestinal infection
- food poisoning
IMPORTANT: Whatever the causes of diarrhea and fever in a child, treatment should be started immediately.
First of all, the child should be given any enterosorbent (smecta, enterosgel) - a drug that will help remove harmful bacteria from the body.
If the child’s body temperature exceeds 38.5 ° C, you can lower it with the help of a child’s antipyretic syrup (Nurofen, Panadol) or suppositories (Cefekon, Paracetomol, Nurofen).
The high temperature for diarrhea in a child must be brought down with antipyretic drugs
IMPORTANT: If the child has diarrhea and fever for more than 24 hours, a pediatrician consultation is required. The doctor will be able to establish the exact cause and prescribe exactly those medicines that will save the baby from torment as soon as possible.
What if the child has green diarrhea?
- By itself, the green color of diarrhea is not terrible. But the condition of the swearing child should pay attention
- If the child feels well and the only problem is the frequent green stool, you need to see a doctor to get a referral for tests. Most likely, the cause of the disorder is dysbiosis. Usually the situation improves after a course of immunomodulators
- But if the green diarrhea in a child is accompanied by abdominal pain, vomiting, fever - parents need to urgently call an ambulance, because these are the signs of an intestinal infection
The introduction of complementary foods can cause green diarrhea in a child
IMPORTANT: Mothers of infants can detect a greenish shade of feces in a child after feeding or changing the mixture. Fruit juices, cow's milk, non-compliance with a diet by a nursing mother can provoke the appearance of green diarrhea in infants.
What to do if a child has mucus diarrhea?
The presence of mucus in the diarrhea indicates the likelihood of intestinal infection. However, diarrhea with secretion of mucus from the intestine also occurs with:
- lactose deficiency
- protein intolerance
IMPORTANT: In most cases of non-infectious diarrhea, the general well-being of children does not change. If the child caught an intestinal infection, then lethargy, fatigue, irritability and drowsiness are added to diarrhea with mucus.
If mucus was found during diarrhea in the feces of a child, he should be given any adsorbent (Regidron, Oralit), exclude heavy food for assimilation from the diet and call a doctor.
While waiting for the doctor, the mother can carefully examine the bowel movements of the child:
- if the mucus is in the feces lumpy, streaked with blood - the cause of diarrhea is the causative agent of dysentery
- tawny or orange mucus flakes talk about salmonella infection
- predominantly bloody impurities in the mucus are the reason for urgent appeal to an ambulance, as the cause of blood in the diarrhea may be colitis or a serious infection
Video: Intestinal infections - School of Dr. Komarovsky
What if the child has diarrhea and vomiting?
Diarrhea, accompanied by vomiting, is very dangerous with the likelihood of rapid dehydration of the body. In order to prevent this, the child must be constantly watered with saline solutions. Seeking immediate medical attention in such situations is mandatory.
Diarrhea accompanied by vomiting is most dangerous for the baby.
IMPORTANT: Dehydration is deadly for young children. The loss of only 9 - 11% of the fluid supply by the body threatens the health and even life of the baby.
Video: Fever during diarrhea and vomiting: what to do?
Diarrhea remedy for children
Remedies for diarrhea in children should be prescribed by a doctor. It will not be possible to independently determine how effective a particular drug will be in each individual situation.
All medications recommended for use in children with diarrhea are divided into groups:
- probiotics(Lactobacterin, Bifikol, Bifidobacterin, Linex, Bifiform, Atzilakt, Acipol, Normobakt, Hilak Forte)
- medicines with an action that slows intestinal motility (Loperamide, Lopedium, Immodium, Diara, Stopoperan, Suprilol, Loflatil, Enterobene)
- antibiotics used for intestinal infections (Enterol, Nifuraxoside, Enterofuril, Stopdiar, Phthalazole)
- enterosorbents, stop diarrhea (Enterosgel, Polysorb, Polyphepan, Sorbex, Gastrolit, Atoxil, Smecta)
- medicinal plants and herbs (blueberries, rhizomes of hemorrhage, bird cherry, pomegranate)
Enterosgel will help quickly stop diarrhea in a child
IMPORTANT: All the funds listed, according to the instructions, are approved for use by young children.
Diet for diarrhea in children
In order for the baby to quickly get rid of diarrhea, it is necessary to adhere to a certain diet.
Completely exclude from the diet during treatment such products:
- vegetables, mushrooms
- butter flour products
- greasy and fried
IMPORTANT: If the child is accustomed to snacking, then during the diet they can be organized using crackers made of gray bread, bananas and peeled apples.
Feed your baby during diarrhea can such products:
- bananas, apples, apple juice
- gray bread croutons
- boiled rice
You need to introduce new dishes gradually, as the situation improves.
Whatever the reasons that caused the diarrhea in the child, it is advisable to immediately show the baby to the pediatrician. Self-medication for childhood diarrhea is extremely dangerous.With diarrhea, certain foods should be excluded from the baby’s diet
Diarrhea in children: tips and reviews
Sveta, mother of Nastya (2 years): Nastia first had an upset stomach when she was 5 months old. Then I was very scared and we immediately went for a consultation with a doctor. He examined the daughter and said that he did not notice anything suspicious of her health. The doctor suggested that the cause of diarrhea might be teeth that were about to appear. His guesses were correct. After 3 days, her first upper tooth came out! Then everything went by itself, I did not give any medications, I only often gave my daughter water.
Ulyana, Tim's mother (3 years old): The son caught an intestinal infection in the garden. He spent the evening after the kindergarten on the pot, and in the morning I called an ambulance, as I found streaks of blood in the feces. We were immediately hospitalized, put a dropper, prescribed treatment. After discharge from the infectious disease ward, for some time, his son had to follow a diet.
Natasha, mom Katie (4 years old): When my daughter has diarrhea, I give her Regidron and Smecta. After taking these drugs, the stool quickly normalizes. Within a few days, my girl returns to normal life.