Why do we often unknowingly wind our hair around our fingers? And is this habit so unconscious?
At the moment of deep reasoning or dreamy thoughtfulness, some people tend to twist hair on their fingers. A person may not notice this feature. After all, our behavior is under control, and habits automatically accompany our actions.
The habit of twisting hair on a finger: psychology
Behavioral habits are associated both with the character of a person, and with folk signs. An innocuous habit of twisting hair on a finger is often interpreted as sentimentality, suspiciousness and self-doubt.
Popular beliefs associate the habit of twisting hair with certain events:
- Constant twisting of hair on the finger provokes severe headaches.
- A deliberate winding of curls on a finger leads to a series of troubles.
- Using a comb to curl hair leads to migraines.
- The habit of contact with hair is laid in childhood. Thanks to similar reflex movements, children try to calm down and protect themselves from the outside world.
- Prolonged falling asleep can also form a habit of twisting hair onto a finger. In the absence of serious psychological ailments, such features fade into the background as a person grows older.
Consider several reasons for the formation of the habit of twisting hair:
- As a sedative. Lack of contact with a loved one is replaced by various relaxation methods.
- Means for falling asleep. When parents stop lulling the child, he begins to look for alternative methods for REM sleep.
- A way to get distracted. Hopelessness in stressful situations finds a way out in certain habits.
- A way to protect yourself. Following his own fears, the child impulsively performs some actions. Curling hair reduces a sense of danger.
The habit of twisting hair on a finger in preschool children
- Small children form the habit of twisting hair on a finger as a means of complacency from external stimuli. This feature does not pose a threat to health, but should attract the attention of caring parents.
- If the baby twists hair on a finger to relieve stress, it is in the parents' power to offer an alternative relaxation method.
- To find out what worries a small child through conversation is not always possible. The task of parents is to organize an interesting pastime that allows them to give way to their accumulated emotions.
- You can relax your baby with the help of joint drawing or needlework, dancing or songs, outdoor or role-playing games.
Consider several suitable options:
- Distract the baby with a new toy.
- Play games to develop fine motor skills - puzzles, designers, plasticine, beads, etc.
- Play finger games, do hand massage.
- Leave the child alone as little as possible.
- Help your baby fall asleep with books or lullabies.
You can not put pressure on the child or indicate its shortcomings. The baby should be comfortable next to you. If the child makes contact, then you need to try to carefully ask about what is bothering him. Sometimes to minimize frequent contact with hair allows a new haircut or a thoughtful hairstyle.
- If you bind curling hair with a child with a mental disorder, it is necessary to seek the qualified help of a neurologist or psychologist.
- The specialist in an individual conversation will help to find out the cause of such manifestations, to connect them with the patient’s emotional background and his bodily sensations.
- Any therapy should be gentle and unobtrusive. It is inappropriate to focus on this problem and use physical force to eliminate it.
The habit of twisting finger hair in adolescents
- In growing children the habit of twisting hair on a finger may have a double meaning. Obsessive contact with hair can indicate a mental disorder. In this case, you can not do without the help of a therapist.
- Timely attention to this problem will help to avoid serious consequences in the future.
- In the process of physiological changes, adolescents find it difficult to accept some changes. Permanent contact with hair is a reflection of children's insecurity, notoriety, a critical attitude to their appearance.
- You can minimize such manifestations with the help of needlework sections or sports clubs. An active daily routine will not leave time for unnecessary thought. The daily regimen relieves excess tension and stimulates the nervous system to overcome ailments.
- Girls can use a hair wrap on a finger as way of flirting to the opposite sex. With such gestures, they try to attract additional attention, to add mystery to their image.
The habit of twisting finger hair in adults
- An adult is much more likely to encounter unforeseen situations, subject to stress and anxiety. Under the outer shell of an adult often an insecure child hiding, requiring parental care.
- A busy work schedule can also lead to similar habits. Concentration and concentration on the work process is accompanied by involuntary movements. If winding hair takes the form of an obsessive action, then you can use several methods to eradicate it.
- Try changing the haircut. You can’t wind your short hair, which means that the habit will gradually disappear.
- Wanting to keep long hair, make it a rule to collect them in a bun. The absence of hanging strands will wean you from the usual actions.
- Disassemble the negative effect of continuous hair twisting. Ask others if they associate you with hair curling. See if the quality of hair growth has changed in places you often come in contact with.
- Dailythe habit of twisting hair on a finger leads to increased tension of the hair follicles. Consequently - fragility and hair loss. If a habit accompanies a person from infancy to adulthood, bald patches may form on the head.
To help the child get rid of such a habit, it is necessary to actively participate in his life. The lack of changes in behavior is a reason for visiting a psychologist.